16.05.04 : Viking v ODD

For those who don't speak French and prefer the discussion in Shakespeare's language
François
Champion national
Champion national
Club préféré : Real Madrid

16.05.04 : Viking v ODD

Message par François »

Next away match for Odd and Olivier.

Viking have a great stadium, just what we would need here in Montreal...

Montreal_FC_Fan
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable

Message par Montreal_FC_Fan »

Whats the capacity?

François
Champion national
Champion national

Message par François »

Montreal_FC_Fan a écrit :Whats the capacity?
approx. 14,000

Montreal_FC_Fan
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable

Looks to good for the A-League

Invité

Message par Invité »

We're not talking about a stadium for the A-league, but for the Impact. 14,000 is not too big, and wouldn't be nice to have a real stadium in all Montreal? Molson, Bell, Hydro, or whatever the Crysler center is quality (or looks quality - never been there), but all other sports facilities around are crap. So, let's go for it.

Montreal_FC_Fan
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable

Yea well if the Impact really needs a new home they will move to the Molson Stadium before talking about building a new one.

Invité

Message par Invité »

From crap to crap though! Where's the improvement?

Montreal_FC_Fan
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable

You need money for improvement! Saputo cant build a stadium with out the help of the 2 gouverments and like if they will give any money!

François
Champion national
Champion national

Message par François »

Anonymous a écrit :We're not talking about a stadium for the A-league, but for the Impact. 14,000 is not too big, and wouldn't be nice to have a real stadium in all Montreal? Molson, Bell, Hydro, or whatever the Crysler center is quality (or looks quality - never been there), but all other sports facilities around are crap. So, let's go for it.
I agree that 14,000 is not big enough but this is a good exemple of nice mid-size soccer stadium. Increase it to 20,000 seats and it would be perfect for Montreal. We could then make the jump to the MLS.

Montreal_FC_Fan
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable

We could then make the jump to the MLS.
I herd that Joey Saputo doesnt like the MLS :?

François
Champion national
Champion national

Message par François »

Montreal_FC_Fan a écrit :
We could then make the jump to the MLS.
I herd that Joey Saputo doesnt like the MLS :?
He doesn't like the way the league controls all salaries and transfers. Players sign with the league and then are allocated to specific teams.
That could always change with a canadian team. Why don't we beat Toronto and get the first canadian team in the MLS. This market is ready to move on to better things than the a-league...

Montreal_FC_Fan
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable

Toronto Who???????????

Toronto in the MLS hahahahahaha

François
Champion national
Champion national

Message par François »

Montreal_FC_Fan a écrit :Toronto Who???????????

Toronto in the MLS hahahahahaha
I know, I know...But they still think they'll have a team there as soon as they get a «national» stadium...

Montreal_FC_Fan
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable

2000 fans in a 30000 capacity stadium good luck :lol:

Daniel
Champion continental
Champion continental
Place dans le stade : Kop [132]

Message par Daniel »

1. Saputo has enough money to build a stadium if he wished to do so. And he has enough pull to get people on board.

2. A new stadium would be home to the Impact and soccer in Quebec and Canada (which would NOT be the case at the FT/football-lined/advertised/3rd-tenant Molson Stadium.

3. I'll repeat this: I'd much rather see an all-Canadian league than a few Canadian teams in MLS. Stability is what it's about. If the big 3 cities can get stadiums and crowds, others will gain in popularity (ie Edmonton, Calgary, etc.). In the MLS, you might have 1-3 Canadian teams but there's no guarantee they'll be there too long (look at the NBA and the NHL). You can't sell MLS in Canada right now (it's no EPL or Serie A, or the MLB pre-1969) so you might as well build a strong domestic league.

Montreal_FC_Fan
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable

If he has the money for a new stadium he should build it.
Then when the club is owning the A-League and if theres no real canadian pro soccer league why not try the MLS.

François
Champion national
Champion national

Message par François »

If we can't sell the MLS in Canada, how in the world can we sell a Canadian league? The caliber of play in the MLS is much improved. A lot of people remember the CSL and that was a step bellow the actual A-League!
The more I see teams like the Lynx and the Storm/Mustangs, we're just waisting our time. I might be wrong but I just don't see a canadian league working.
Why do you think Rochester wants to go to the MLS?
In order to progress and reach higher levels of play and be part of a real professional league. The a-league is still viewed as «minor league», imagine a canadian league...

Daniel
Champion continental
Champion continental

Message par Daniel »

François a écrit :If we can't sell the MLS in Canada, how in the world can we sell a Canadian league? The caliber of play in the MLS is much improved. A lot of people remember the CSL and that was a step bellow the actual A-League!
The more I see teams like the Lynx and the Storm/Mustangs, we're just waisting our time. I might be wrong but I just don't see a canadian league working.
Why do you think Rochester wants to go to the MLS?
In order to progress and reach higher levels of play and be part of a real professional league. The a-league is still viewed as «minor league», imagine a canadian league...
I highlighted two parts of your message. People remember the CSL BECAUSE it was a Canadian league. There was a national footprint. There was a game-of-the-week on TSN and had it come a few years later (with Internet fan support and organisation), I think it could have fared better.

People see the A-League as minor-league because we play teams like Virginia Beach, Charleston and Syracuse, which are minor-league cities (hell, if you don't know Rochester's the flagship franchise and the Impact's rival, you don't give a f*ck about them). It is all about perception. The CFL is not seen as a minor-league to the NFL, although the better players will try themselves with NFL teams. It is seen as distinct and unique and that's how we need to go with a soccer league. Especially if there can be cooperation with both leagues in regards to stadium issues and promotion.

The quality of play is totally irrelevant. People don't watch MLS here and if they did, they'd say "it's no EPL/Serie A/La Liga". People remember the CSL but don't care that the quality of play was lower than it is in the A-League today.

If people are going to start caring about soccer, you're better off controling your destiny (with your own league, rules and players) than leaving it in others' hands (look at the A-League's minimal set-up, MLS is single-entity with strong ties to the USSF, look at the NHL, NBA and MLB with regards to the Canadian franchises).

More people in Montréal know about Mauro Biello than Landon Donovan, Brian McBride and Carlos Ruiz combined, and it sure as hell isn't because of their respective skill levels. However, more people probably know about Beckham and Ronaldo, because in that case there's a SIGNIFICANT difference.

Christian
Réel espoir
Réel espoir

Message par Christian »

By the way this thread should be moved to the O (au) Canada section.

I respect your opinion Daniel but between a canadian league with a level of play below the A-league (Which is very bad already most of the time) and a strong canadian team based in Montreal in the MLS my choice is very easy: MLS

Christian

Allez l'Impact!
Corbin
Joueur de réserve
Joueur de réserve

Message par Corbin »

It's weird that you're talking about that now...
I was talking with Abraham François this week about "what it would be like to have a Canadian League". We had the same opinion. There's no way it's possible.

Daniel
Champion continental
Champion continental

Message par Daniel »

Christian a écrit :By the way this thread should be moved to the O (au) Canada section.

I respect your opinion Daniel but between a canadian league with a level of play below the A-league (Which is very bad already most of the time) and a strong canadian team based in Montreal in the MLS my choice is very easy: MLS
But that's such a sort-sighted view. Of course the play will be below the A-League at first, but a stable league will increase and produce a deeper pool of better players.

Look at the effect of these 2 American leagues on the American player and national teams: NASL - a premier league with top players and MLS a second-rate league with mostly domestic players. MLS has done so much more because it is stable and because it is tightly controled in relation to American soccer.

Add 3 teams to the 5 we already have and the talent will be spread at first, but within 5 years or so, it will be at least equal to the A-League which is going nowhere fast.

François
Champion national
Champion national

good stuff

Message par François »

best discussion we had here in a long time. We should move this to O Canada like Christian was saying and continue in French. :lol:

Montreal_FC_Fan
Titulaire indiscutable
Titulaire indiscutable

Funny How Forums are we start with a Odd game and end up talking about a Canadian League and new stadium

daff

Message par daff »

An interesting discussion you have. But back to the game:

We played very well in 80 minutes, so we were kind o disapointed when the result became 2-2. OO didnt play his best game, but it was ok. We are still 2nd in the league, one point after Tromsoe, four points in front of Rosenborg, the hottest candidate for the championship.

On Thursday we will have a home game against Lillestroem. Last year that one ended 5-0, but Lillestroem is stronger this year. I still belive in victory though

François
Champion national
Champion national

Message par François »

daff a écrit :An interesting discussion you have. But back to the game:

We played very well in 80 minutes, so we were kind o disapointed when the result became 2-2. OO didnt play his best game, but it was ok. We are still 2nd in the league, one point after Tromsoe, four points in front of Rosenborg, the hottest candidate for the championship.

On Thursday we will have a home game against Lillestroem. Last year that one ended 5-0, but Lillestroem is stronger this year. I still belive in victory though
Thanks for the report and bringing us back to the topic... :)

Répondre Sujet précédentSujet suivant